Yacht Harbor

HISTORY OF HUMAN IMPACT: The Palo Alto Baylands area was used as a ship landing beginning in the 1800s. By 1926 the area had become an established yacht harbor, and was routinely dredged and maintained until its closing in 1986.

ECOLOGICAL EFFECTS:The strategic dredging (removal of mud and marsh habitat to deepen waterways) and filling (adding earth to create new dry land) of this area resulted in the loss of hundreds of acres of marshland that previously served as wildlife habitat, filtered pollution, and provided protection from storms.

FUN FACT: By 1987 there were only two buildings left remaining from the yacht harbor: the scout house (now the Ecocenter) and the Harbormaster’s cottage (now the Baylands Ranger Station).